Sunday, December 7, 2014

Clothed in Strength and Dignity

"You had to be stronger." The words ring in my head like sirens one after the other, each one more painful than the last. You put the weight of the world on my shoulders, when you should have made me feel at home. Instead of being complimented on the freckle in my eye or my childish laugh, you ravished me as a lion would its next meal. Is that was I was to you? No more than a piece of meat, satisfying your hunger just until you moved on to your next victim? Oh but I had to be stronger, you said. I wanted you to give me the affection I so deeply desired; to notice the small things, discover my flaws, and love me anyways. Instead, you took my flaws and exploited them to be used to your advantage. But I had to be stronger, you said. Well I say bullshit. I say bullshit to girls constantly being blamed for a man's lack of restraint. I say bullshit to men being portrayed as victims of their sexual desires, and their inability to control them. I say bullshit to women feeling the necessity to fulfill these desires, just because a man feels that as a man, he is entitled. I say bullshit to being taken advantage of and pressured, because I should possess the strength to say no; and no again, and again, and oh wait, once more. I say bullshit to men not finding the strength within themselves to say no. I say bullshit to my role in a relationship requiring all will power and strength, while his requires nothing but falling victim to his sexual stereotypes. But I should've been stronger, he says.. And I say, thanks to you, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment