Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Songs of Nostalgia

As I'm hearing the noises of your guitar drown out my sorrows, a wave a childhood nostalgia overwhelms me. It's all coming back, and I just want you to keep playing and playing so that the memories will continue to play like my old favorite song. The waves are coming, overwhelming me, and I feel as if I'm drowning, yet this time in serenity and I don't want it to stop. I remember long drives to kindergarten that were filled to the brim with math problems invisibly drawn on the back of your seat with my itty bitty finger. I remember gas station stops for the yellow Gatorade because it was our favorite. I remember the countless days  I made you late for work because I wanted one more push on the swingset or one more boat to be drawn, and then later colored by me. I remember yelling that yellow meant slow down every time you sped through a light to get me to school on time. I remember tinker bell dresses, and running through the sprinklers with you on the morning of the first day of school. I remember moms scowl as she found us sopping wet in the front lawn, and your half smile and shrug. But above all, I distinctly remember the idolization I felt towards you at such an early age, and it's bewildering, yet not,  that although it seems that everything is different, that is the one thing that has, and always will remain the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment